Stella Grando obtained a degree in Biological Sciences from the University of Padova in 1985 and has been working with genetic improvement of fruit crops for over twenty years at the IASMA-Research Centre of San Michele all’Adige (Trento). Her group's current research focuses on the identification of genes responsible for major traits in grapevine including fruit quality and disease resistance, and is involved on the development of molecular tools for breeding and selection of superior table and wine grape varieties.
Stella Grando has been adjunct professor of Grapevine genetics at University of Torino (2004-2011) and she still teaches Genetics in the Inter-University Consortium composed of the Edmund Mach Foundation, the University of Trento, the University of Udine and the Fachhochschule Geisenheim.
Throughout her career she has actively participated in various research projects funded by international and national agencies. Since 2002 she is a member of the IGGP-International Grape Genome Program steering committee and currently serves on the Food and Agriculture Cost Action FA1003 management committee.
She published more than 60 papers in scientific journals with impact factor ISI and supervised some 40 students on their projects for the Bachelor, Master or PhD degree.
Some recent publications of the Applied grapevine genomics research group:
- Battilana, J., Emanuelli, F., Gambino, G., Gribaudo, I., Gasperi, F., Boss, P., & Grando, M.S. (2011). Functional effect of grapevine 1-deoxy-D-xylulose 5-phosphate synthase substitution K284N on Muscat flavour formation. Journal of experimental botany, 62(15), 5497-5508.
- Moreira Maia, F., Madini, A., Marino, R., Zulini, L., Stefanini, M., Velasco, R., Kozma, P., & Grando, M.S. (2011). Genetic linkage maps of two interspecific grape crosses (Vitis spp.) used to localize quantitative trait loci for downy mildew resistance. Tree genetics & genomes, 7(1), 153-167.
- Emanuelli, F., Battilana, J., Costantini, L., & Grando, M.S. (2011). Molecular breeding of grapevine for aromatic quality and other traits relevant to viticulture. In Breeding for fruit quality (pp.247-260). Chichester : Wiley.
- Welter, L., Grando, M.S., & Zyprian, E. (2011). Basics of grapevine genetic analysis. In Genetics, genomics and breeding of grapes (pp.137-159). Boca Raton, FL ... [et al.] : CRC Press
- Emanuelli, F., Battilana, J., Costantini, L., Le Cunff, L., Boursiquot, J., This, P., & Grando, M.S. (2010). A candidate gene association study on muscat flavor in grapevine (Vitis vinifera L.). BMC Plant biology, 10(241).
- Delrot, S., Medrano, H., Or, E., Bavaresco, L., & Grando, M.S. (a cura di) (2010). Methodologies and results in grapevine research. Dordrecht ... [etc.] : Springer.